Speak to a Family or Divorce Lawyer Now

Board Certified Family Law Attorney


(561) 844-1200

Divorce Services

The Law Offices of Nugent, Zborowski & Bruce offer an array of services. Please click one of our areas of expertise below to learn more about how we can assist you.

No Fault Divorce Splitting Property Alimony Child Custody Child Support Mediation

Florida Statutes related to Divorce and Family Law

The marital and family lawyers of Nugent, Zborowski & Bruce represent clients primarily in Palm Beach County, Martin County and Broward County. Regardless of the County, however, most all of the divorce and family law cases handled by the firm proceed under Florida law. Below is a small list of some of the Florida Statutes that apply to marital and family law cases in Florida. Clicking each link will display the statutory provision in full.

    A motion or other request for relief made in a child custody proceeding or to enforce a child custody determination that was commenced before the effective date of this part is governed by the law in effect at the time the motion or other request was made.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

    In applying and construing this part, consideration must be given to the need to promote uniformity of the law with respect to its subject matter among states that enact it.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

    The court may assess against the nonprevailing party all direct expenses and costs incurred by the state attorney and law enforcement officers under s. 61.538 or s. 61.539 so long as the court has personal jurisdiction over the nonprevailing party.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

    At the request of a state attorney acting under s. 61.538, a law enforcement officer may take any lawful action reasonably necessary to locate a child or a party and assist a state attorney with responsibilities under s. 61.538.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

    (1)        In a case arising under this part or involving the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction, the state attorney may take any lawful action, including resort to a proceeding under ss. 61.524-61.540 or any other available civil proceeding, to locate a child, obtain the return of a child, or enforce a child custody determination, if there is:


    (a)        An existing child custody determination;


    (b)        A request to do so from a court in a pending child custody proceeding;


    (c)        A reasonable belief that a criminal statute has been violated; or


    (d)       A reasonable belief that the child has been wrongfully removed or retained in violation of the Hague Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction.


    (2)        A state attorney acting under this section acts on behalf of the court and may not represent any party.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

    An appeal may be taken from a final order in a proceeding under ss. 61.524-61.540 in accordance with expedited appellate procedures in other civil cases. Unless the court enters a temporary emergency order under s. 61.517, the enforcing court may not stay an order enforcing a child custody determination pending appeal.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

    A court of this state shall accord full faith and credit to an order issued by another state and consistent with this part which enforces a child custody determination by a court of another state unless the order has been vacated, stayed, or modified by a court having jurisdiction to do so under ss. 61.514-61.523.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

    (1)        So long as the court has personal jurisdiction over the party against whom the expenses are being assessed, the court shall award the prevailing party, including a state, necessary and reasonable expenses incurred by or on behalf of the party, including costs, communication expenses, attorney’s fees, investigative fees, expenses for witnesses, travel expenses, and expenses for child care during the course of the proceedings, unless the party from whom fees or expenses are sought establishes that the award would be clearly inappropriate.


    (2)        The court may not assess fees, costs, or expenses against a state unless authorized by law other than this part.


    History.—s. 5, ch. 2002-65.

View All Statutes