Although there are many factors the court takes into consideration when determining a requirement to pay alimony the most important factor is how long you were married. As you will see below the longer the marriage the more likelihood that alimony will be required. Keep in mind that even if there is a long marriage it does not automatically mean that alimony will be required. All of the other factors must also support an alimony judgment.
See below for examples of length of marriage and how it affects the probability of paying alimony.
- Less than 7 years – least likely
- 7 – 10 years – slightly possible
- 10 years – 12 years – Very possible
- 12 years – 17 years – Probable
- Over 17 years – Pretty much definite